[Paraview] problems with running paraview

Natalie Happenhofer nataliehapp at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 05:55:03 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,
recently I tried to install paraview on linux, I untared and unzipped the file an then changed to the bin-directory and tried to run paraview:
First everything seemed ok, the window saying "Paraview Kitware.. blabla" turned up and then the GUI of Paraview, but a few seconds later it vanishes and in my terminal I get error messages:

ERROR: In /home/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 370
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x861e2e0): Could not find a decent visual
ERROR: In /home/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 585
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x861e2e0): Cannot create GLX context.
Aborting.

and that's it. What's the problem?
Thx in advance,
Natalie Happenhofer