[Paraview] colormap for logarithmic quantities

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Tue Jul 8 15:09:04 EDT 2008

I didn't mean "do your data values make sense"; I'm sure they do.

What I questioned is whether changing the lower bound of the log color scale as you suggest makes sense.

Remember, changing the color scale does not change the data -- the original values, both positive and negative, will be passed through the color lookup table to find their color.

I think with the change you suggest all values from -1e+15 to +1e+15 would get the same color, the one for +1e+15. The colors would only vary between +1+e15 an 9.999e+18. Does that make sense?

If you want to work with the absolute value of your data first pass it through the Calculator and take the absolute value. If needed also set a floor so values don't get too close to 0 where the log blows up.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center