[Paraview] Paraview/Qt memory crash

Thorsten Becker twb at usc.edu
Sun Feb 24 13:13:27 EST 2008

Hi,

I am trying to read in a large, 1.4GB, file Paraview 3.2.1 Linux x86 on
a 4GB RAM x86_64 machine. Should this be possible in principle? I am
getting a core dump related to not enough memory like so:

Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt. You must
reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
Abort (core dumped)
<<

(where I am not sure if it's really Qt or paraview causing the crash,
how could I check?)

I've converted all scalars and vectors to char and unsigned char to save
space in the numeric representation, but that didn't help.

Thanks for any suggestions on where to start looking.

Cheers

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Becker                   Department of Earth Sciences
University of Southern California                 213.740.8365