[Paraview] 3D contour maps

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Fri Feb 22 08:06:12 EST 2008

Patty,

ParaView can very easily create isosurfaces from 3D data. It sounds
like you need to convert your data into a single 3D .vtk file. Once
you have done that and load it in, the contour filter will produce
isosurfaces through the 3D data.

If you want details on how to convert your files into a single 3D
format, it would be helpful if you would specify what kind of data you
have (image data, structured grid, etc.)

Hope that helps,
Cory

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Dr Patricia Lozano-Casal
<P.Lozano-Casal at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  I am trying to create a 3D contour plot but I am not sure how to do
>  it. I can get a 2D plot without problems from my Y,Z coords and the
>  potential value (x=fixed value) (file .vtk) but I am not sure how to
>  do it. Do you need different 2D contour maps (different .vtk files)
>  for different slices to create the isosurfaces?
>
>  Any tips/advice would be highly appreciated.
>
>  Thanks again,
>
>  Patty
>
>  --
>  Dr Patricia Lozano-Casal
>  Institute for Materials and Processes
>  School of Engineering and Electronics
>  University of Edinburgh
>  Kenneth Denbigh Building
>  The King's Buildings
>  Mayfield Road
>  Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, United Kingdom
>  Phone: ++44 (0)131 650 4859
>  Fax:   ++44 (0)131 650 6551
>  E-mail: P.Lozano-Casal at ed.ac.uk
>
>  --
>  The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
>  Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Cory Quammen
Department of Computer Science
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~cquammen