[Paraview] Failing to connect to an MPI server in certain cases

Sean Ziegeler seanzig at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 21 15:37:37 EST 2008

We use MPI across a grid of Linux x86_64 workstations.  I've compiled PV
3.2.1 with OpenMPI, and it works fine if I use plain-old mpirun.
However, if I submit a job through GridEngine (to do load balancing for
everyone), it runs the server ok, but I can't connect to it.  I get the
following errors:

ERROR: In
/home/ziegeler/paraview/src/3.2.1-zig/Servers/Common/vtkServerConnection.cxx,
line 67
vtkServerConnection (0x159b0d0): Server Connection Closed!

ERROR: In
/home/ziegeler/paraview/src/3.2.1-zig/Servers/Common/vtkServerConnection.cxx,
line 351
vtkServerConnection (0x159b0d0): Server could failed to gather information.

Submitting a parallel job via a batch queue system can affect the
environment variables and such, but I would think pvserver would simply
fail to execute.  I'm looking in the code around where those errors
message occur, but I can't find anything obviously wrong.  Anyone have
any ideas?  Anyone know what those error messages tend to indicate other
than a general communication failure?

Thanks,
Sean