[Paraview] Problem reading/using STRUCTURED_GRID data

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Aug 18 09:33:37 EDT 2008

First, let me recommend that you update your version of ParaView (which you can download from www.paraview.org).  Version 2.4 was released several years ago and is no longer supported.

That said, I see that the behavior you describe also exists in the latest released version (3.2).  It looks like the data file is defining a lookup table with a domain from 0 to 1.  You can fix the problem by simply not defining a lookup table for the data in the file.  Change the line "LOOKUP_TABLE lut" to "LOOKUP_TABLE default" and the ParaView lookup table will be used as expected.  You can also delete the entire LOOKUP_TABLE section at the bottom of the file.

Why the lookup table defined in the file is scaling from 0 to 1 and how to get past that, I don't know.  Personally, I don't use this feature and don't recommend it to any ParaView users because it has dubious value and usually leads to confusing results (as you have just found).  If you really care about this feature, you should bring it up with the vtkusers list.

-Ken