[Paraview] Selection of points

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Aug 4 11:01:35 EDT 2008

Eric

No. My particles already have a global Id which I use to track them
independently. The trouble is (was), that when you select some in
ParaView, it uses their Id taken from the index they have in the
vtkPoints list (or Cell Id if using verts) and noy my "ParticleId"
array. This order can change arbitrarily in my data. As time steps
change - the selected points constantly shift about.

I fixed the problem by creating a vtkSnapshot filter which simply
captures a dataset when you create it. It caches the result and never
updates anything from then on. This way I can select a bunch of
particles using the mouse, copy the active selection, then snapshot it.
I then pass this into the TTemporalTrails filter as the selction input
(you might need to update your copy to get this filter). I can now pick
individual (or groups) of particles at time T=large, capture them, go
back to T=0 and draw pathlines only for thos eI wanted. Nice. This is
also handy because particles can be injected at differnt times and if
their Id doesn't exist at some T value, the trails filter just skips
them. The ones selected get drawn - if they exist.

JB