[Paraview] vtk format and mpi paraview

Stephen.Wornom at sophia.inria.fr Stephen.Wornom at sophia.inria.fr
Sat Sep 8 04:24:53 EDT 2007

>> Yes. The VTK reader will use just one processor, I believe, but D3 can
>> be used
>> to distribute its output.
>
> Actually, not exactly true. If the data is unstructured (polydata or
> unstructured grid), the first node will read the whole dataset, break
> it into pieces and distributed to other processes. After that,
> everything will work in parallel.
Berk and Kent,
Thanks for the quick response,

The data is unstructured and written one file/processor.
file001.vtk
file002.vtk
file128.vtk (total processors = 128)

The total x,y,z field contains 128 blocks (or domains).
1-Can I put the list of the vtk files into a list_meta.vtk file and load
only the  list_meta.vtk file?

2-If I use say 32 processors for the visualization, do all 32 processors
read simultaneously (processor 1 reads file001.vtk, processor 2 reads
file002.vtk ... etc)? or does one processor read all files?

I should say that I am using ParaView version 1.6.2.
Stephen