[Paraview] Input text

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Fri Mar 16 09:12:38 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 09:22 -0500, Gerald Labedz wrote:
> Kevin
>   OK, I confess I'm still stuck. All I'm wanting to do is read an ascii file
> in the form x(n), y(n), z(n), a1(n), a2(n), . . .  Where xyz are spatial and
> an are other attributes for colorizing or other viz tricks.
>   I really don't know where to go with the c++ VTK code you sent me (being
> new to this, and not even having the VTK documentation).

The C++/vtk code I sent you reads any 4 columns of a file like yours,
and then writes it out as a vtp file you can read with paraview.

>   I looked at the particle viewer web page you sent me to, which also left
> me ice cold -- not knowing what to do. Namely, how do I get the vtk particle
> reader to work from ParaView?

Just pick 4 of your columns and put them into one file :

	awk < your_file.txt '{print $x, $y, $z, $v}' > new_file.csv

The paraview CSV reader should be able to read this file.