[Paraview] Python: two actors AND connection to local running Paraview

Jordi Campos i Miralles jcampos at maia.ub.es
Wed Jun 20 07:43:59 EDT 2007

After basic example of http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:pvpython ,
I tried to create two actors with different colors, to pass them to
different Renderers of a running Paraview, but I found some problems.

I inserted the questions in the script code that is placed below.

Can anybody help me to understand how to perform it in Paraview
scripting?

Thanks in advance,

jor;)i

SCRIPT-----------------------------------------------------
#                                                    PV-03-RenderM.py
import paraview

# QUESTIONS ARE IN CAPITAL LETTERS

paraview.ActiveConnection = paraview.Connect()    # Create a built-in server

source1 = paraview.CreateProxy("sources",         # Sources
                               "SphereSource", "sources")

source2 = paraview.CreateProxy("sources", "ConeSource", "sources")

mapper1 = paraview.CreateProxy("mappers",         # Mappers
                               "PolyDataMapper", "mappers")
mapper1.SetInput( source1 )
mapper1.UpdateVTKObjects()

mapper2 = paraview.CreateProxy("mappers", "PolyDataMapper", "mappers")
mapper2.SetInput( source2 )

actor1  = paraview.CreateProxy("props",           # Actors
                               "Actor", "props")  # (todo: check LODActor)
actor1.SetMapper( mapper1 )
actor1.SetPosition( 2, 0, 0 )
actor1.UpdateVTKObjects()

actor2  = paraview.CreateProxy("props", "Actor", "props")
actor2.SetMapper( mapper2 )

prop    = paraview.CreateProxy("properties",      # Properties
                               "Property", "properties")
prop.SetColor(1, 1, 0)
prop.UpdateVTKObjects() # IS IT NECESSARY???
prop    = actor2.SetProperty()
actor2.UpdateVTKObjects()
# IS THERE A SHORTER WAY TO CHANGE THE COLOR???

renderer = paraview.CreateProxy("renderers",      # Renderers
                                "Renderer", "renderers")
# renderer.AddActor( actor1 ) FAILS, WHY???
# renderer.AddActor( actor2 )
# ALSO renderer.AddToActors( actor1 )... ????

print paraview.GetRenderModules()
# RETURNS EMPTY LIST, SHOULDN'T NEW CREATED 'render' APPEAR???

renderW  = paraview.CreateRenderWindow()          # RenderWindows
# I WOULD LIKE TO USE LODRenderModule W CONE
# AND SimpleRenderModule W SPHERE, IS IT POSSIBLE?

disp1 = paraview.CreateDisplay(source1, renderW)  # Displays
disp2 = paraview.CreateDisplay(source2, renderW)
# WHICH IS THE CORRESPONDANCE IN VTK?

renderW.ResetCamera()
renderW.StillRender()
# WHO CAN I TAKE AN SCREENSHOT???

raw_input("Enter to finish")
# I'M INTERESTED INI CONNECTING TO A RUNNING PARAVIEW (LOCAL IN MY MACHINE),
# CREATE THE SCENE AND AFTERWARDS LET THE USER INTERACT, IS IT POSSIBLE???
pg 90 of
http://namaste.maia.ub.es/public/vtk-volume-rendering-tutorial.pdf

--
Jordi Campos i Miralles
Departament de Matemàtica Aplicada i Anàlisi, MAiA