[Paraview] paraview 3.0.1 build on MacOS X is brittle

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:25:49 EDT 2007

I still need a _good_ reason for building against X11. Just because it
_can_ be done does not mean it _should_ be done. OS X users _expect_ a
proper OS X application bundle to use. We (OS X Users) have been
screaming at the ParaView folks for years to do this so we did not
have to rely on X11 to run ParaView. Now that we have it you want to
take us back to X11? I don't think so. I would rather see Kitware's
resources put to other tasks than to back port to X11.

Now.. having ranted about all that I am going to jump to the other
side. Last week Apple announced that the only 64Bit GUIs going forward
will be Cocoa and X11. This leaves those of us wanting a 64 bit
version of ParaVIew on OS X in a bind. Qt bases there implementation
on Carbon, therefor no 64Bit ParaView for OS X. So the only way I am
seeing to get 64 Bit paraview on OS X would be if we continue to build
against X11, which just completely SUCKS. And I am going to jump out
on a limb and hope that the Qt4-X11 package is NOT based on Carbon.
Further more for me to even consider this is if the Qt4X11 package
becomes STABLE, not UNSTABLE. I have clients to serve and putting
buggy software on their machines and saying "deal with it" is not a
good reflection on me or Kitware.

Cheers
Mike Jackson