[Paraview] Ensight Gold reader "new line" error

Simone Crippa crippa at kth.se
Thu Jan 4 06:57:15 EST 2007

Hi,

when trying to read Ensight Gold "case" files with PV I receive error
messages when a "new line" is encountered ... or better,
vtkEnSightReader complains about the next line missing a section title:

Here's part of the output:

  There was a VTK Error in file:
/home/crippa/tmp/ParaView/VTK/IO/vtkEnSightReader.cxx (987)
  vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader (0x1e7d1e0): invalid VARIABLE line:
46986.01 46986.01 46986.01 46986.01

When reading this case file:

FORMAT
type: ensight gold

GEOMETRY
model: case15_remeshed_2494_2610.geo

VARIABLE
constant per case:   1  Pressure     46986.01
  46986.01 46986.01 46986.01 46986.01
  46986.01 46986.01 46986.01 46986.01
[...]

I reformatted the case file to feature only one line per section title,
and then the reader works.

This is OK until (I think) the 79 character limit is hit, as per
"EnSight Gold Case File Format" specifications:

EnSight Gold Case File Format
      The Case file is an ASCII free format
      [...]
      Notes:  All lines in the Case file are limited to 79 characters.

Then, the "reformatting-into-one-line-per-section-title" hack doesn't
work anymore.

Any clue as to why vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader doesn't like new lines?

Regards, Simone

--
Simone Crippa
Research assistant, Dipl.-Ing.