[Paraview] Re: Loading netCDF files in Paraview

lester anderson lester at arctica1.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 09:09:44 EST 2007

Hi all
Thanks for the info on this problem. Hopefully the next release will incorporate the available code and give a stable functionality for NetCDF files. Confusingly, in GMT the files are name.GRD which is also the same extension as used by Surfer (a different format)! The best situation would be to have Paraview be able to load and save to NetCDF format, so that if you slice a volume you could then read the data in GMT or, if converted, in Surfer for example.
Have not yet found a stand-alone windows program that can convert NetCDF to VTK (and back again) so this is definitely something that would be most welcome in Paraview. I have VTK too but it's a steep learning curve!
I think that I can just create XYZ data and load that in using the Comma Separated Value (CSV) format, although how that would work to build up a lattice strucure for volume calculations I'm not sure - still learning!
Thanks
Lester