[Paraview] GLSL shaders and Paraview

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Dec 18 12:18:03 EST 2007

I'm not sure if you really mean a custom filter (which is simply a collection of filters that behaves like a single filter) or a programmable filter (which is a filter that executes a python script to manipulate the data), but either way you cannot access vtkProperty.  In ParaView, just as in VTK, a filter does not have direct access to vtkProperty or any other rendering parameters.

A lookmark may be closer to what you want.  Lookmarks save a subset of the state relating to some section of the pipeline, including rendering parameters stored in vtkProperty.  However, this still doesn't get you to what you want to do, because ParaView 3 does not expose shader functionality.

In the move from ParaView 2 to ParaView 3, we lost the ability to add shaders to objects because (1) this feature is a low priority for most users and (2) the implementation did not seem to cover many of the use cases interested users had.

Unfortunately, I can think of no easy way to enable shaders in ParaView 3.  You would either have to add the functionality to the ParaView code or create a plugin that defined a new view that supported shaders.

-Ken