[Paraview] Question about mangled mesa/osmesa

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed May 31 18:38:46 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 15:34 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> As of FC5, Fedora has stopped shipping libOSMesa because the upstream
> mesa project has made it very difficult (impossible?) to build a single
> libGL that supports both DRI and OSMesa.  I'm looking into packaging a
> mangled mesa version for Fedora Extras that paraview could use.  My
> question is: when using VTK_USE_MANGLED_MESA, is the resulting paraview
> able to use both the "native" OpenGL (Mesa with DRI in this case) as
> well as the OSMesa library provided by the mangled version, or do you
> need separately compiled paraviews for the two uses?  I'm assuming the
> former is the case when using VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA.
>
> Thanks!

Building Mangled Mesa for Fedora Extras is a good idea! I've never had
ParaView with mesa and mangled mesa working though. I hear the mangling
in the newest stable version is broken somehow.

I've always assumed VTK_USE_MANGLED_MESA and VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA were
mutually exclusive, because if OpenGL had an OSMesa I wouldn't need a
Mangled Mesa. Maybe that's why it never works for me.