RES: [Paraview] client/server display problem - solved almost

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri May 26 07:52:18 EDT 2006

Thanks to all, I have now got it mostly working, for reference should
anyone  check the archives

I discovered that one must build Mesa twice,
once "make linux-static", then again with "make linux-osmesa32"
then you get the build of the GL lib and the additional offscreen osmesa
libs. I hadn't realized theat building osmesa didn't also built the core
GL lib - hence I didn't have the GL lib and linked against the default
GL. Note that I fell back to using Mesa-6.4.2 and this configuration
works (I suspect 6.5 wil work too now that I know what to do).
(NB. Building mesa as dynamic caused crashes every time.)

then mpirun -np X -machinefile Y pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering

and it seems to work. Forcing compositing to always gives an image with
reasonable performance (or at least comparable to transferring geometry
with small results), and probably better with large results.

Distributed compositing appears to work too.

Only one problem left : When I resize the window in paraview, all the
server nodes segfault. (yes, I checked the MAX_WIDTH, MAX_HEIGHT
variable in osmmesa/config.h). It starts up ok and I can use it as long
as I don't resize the window.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch