RES: [Paraview] client/server display problem - Problem Revisited!

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu May 25 08:51:28 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 21:46 +0200, John Biddiscombe wrote:
> > Have you launched pvserver with --use-offscreen-rendering flag?
>
> Imagine how happy I am that I hadn't thought of that :)

I felt rather dumb when first I saw that option.

> OK. The warning about compositing goes away now, but instead I get
> this...(when I force compositing)
>

> Process id: 9 >> Warning: In
> /home/biddisco/ParaView/VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 1229
> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x6000000000089130): failed call to
> OSMesaMakeCurrent

<snip>

That reminded me of this error I used to get with my system GL which is
Mesa with DRI, all the osmesa headers, but without the OSMesa library. I
guess it's the 'MakeCurrent' part that seems familiar.

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  31500

> Anyone know what to do to fix it?

I agree with Renato N. Elias the use of the system libGL.so with the
mesa include, and libGLU.so, and no xmesa.h is probably a problem. I've
had the best results so far using the latest stable Mesa-6.4.2 without
mangling as my only GL. To get CMake to find this version before the
system version I set some variables in my ~/.bash_profile

CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=~/Mesa-6.4.2/lib64

and

CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=~/Mesa-6.4.2/include

This saves me a bunch of screw ups entering things into CMake. It also
helps CMake to put the VTK and ITK dirs in there for building projects.