RES: [Paraview] client/server display problem

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Tue May 16 15:31:54 EDT 2006

Berk: Well, mostly because this may not scale well. Polygonal data generated
by 10 nodes might be too big to be handled by a single node. If you client
can handle it, no problem

Renato: I see what you mean. My problem is that, unfortunately, we don't
have render clusters here. Thus, we must try to work with the Altix as it
was only a parallel data server connected to a Windows XP client machine
performing all rendering work with its NVidia Quadro FX 4400 video card.

Berk: there is not pure data server in paraview

Renato: Ok. It's clear now. I guess I got confused after seeing what PV
compilation produces. It builds different binaries (pvclient,
pvrenderserver, pvserver and pvdataserver). Firstly I tried to connect the
pvclient (on the Windows machine) with the pvserver (on the Altix system)
but I got that error message (X connection to localhost:10.0 broken
(explicit kill or server shutdown)). After that, I tried to connect pvclient
with pvDATAserver and the problem persisted. I thought it strange since I
was just repeating with PV 2.4.3 the same procedure I used to do with PV
2.2.1 (which has been running nicely in parallel, including with Ensight
files which don't work fine with PV 2.4.3).

Thanks Berk for the explanations

Renato N. Elias
PhD student - http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias
High Performance Computing Center