[Paraview] client/server display problem

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Tue May 16 15:07:23 EDT 2006

On 5/16/06, Renato N. Elias <rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br> wrote:

> Sorry, but I'm still in doubt...
>
> Maybe my doubt is due the way I'm running the client/server mode. I should
> emphasize that I'm running in a client/DATA server mode using a SGI Altix
> which doesn't have any rendering capability. Thus, here goes my
> questions...
>
> BRIAN: 1) Set up their server nodes so that they can open X windows
> (Sandia
> has done this on like 10 different clusters, it's not that hard, if you
> need
> instructions please email me).
>
> RENATO: Why? If I'm running in a client/data server scheme my data server
> only need to load and dispatch my data to the client which should launch
> the
> PV GUI. I can't see why is it necessary to open X windows in this case.

Well, mostly because this may not scale well. Polygonal data generated by 10
nodes might be too big to be handled by a single node. If you client can
handle it, no problem. There is not client/data server scheme. You either
have client/data server/render server or client/server modes. If you are
running in client/server modes, the server is capable of both processing and
rendering. If you don't want the server to render, disable compositing. At
that point, there is no need for opengl or X display on the server.

BRIAN: 2) Compile the server with Mesa (note: the client should never be
> compiled with Mesa)
>
> RENATO: The question remains. Is it really necessary to compile PV with
> Mesa
> support in a system without rendering capability?

It is not necessary. It is optional. If you are not going to render anything
on the server, compile with whatever opengl library you want. Unfortunately,
there is not pure data server in paraview. All servers have to be linked
against some opengl library, even if it is not used.