[Paraview] Common problems with Ensight files in ParaView

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Wed Jun 28 16:14:18 EDT 2006

Guys,

I'll list some problems related to Ensight's format with ParaView that I
have observed since I started using ParaView. The intention of this post is
not to reclaim anything. It's just to help PV beginners as well as collect
some experiences from other ParaView/Ensight users:

1) ParaView is not able to open Ensight's binary files written by Fortran
programs as UNFORMATTED. Thus, if you're a Fortran programmer, you
***MUST*** open your files as BINARY (form="binary"), otherwise ParaView
will not work properly. NOTE: Only some newer Fortran compilers (e.g.
Intel's Fortran) support binary files;

2) If you're worried about changing the "byte order" every time you're
suggest you open your files with the byte order previously defined, e.g.,
open(unit=iens,file='foo.geo',form='binary',CONVERT='BIG_ENDIAN')

3) There are lots of filters in PV 2.4.3 version that has not been working
fine (or even disabled) -- a list of the disabled filters can be found in
readers since the PV 2.2.1. Thus, if you're looking for a ParaView version
more stable with Ensight's formats, I guess, you should go through PV 2.2.1;

4) When working in parallel, the Ensight's server-of-server format (SOS)
only work to load a dataset and do some basic things. Some filters such as
"Append datasets", "Clean to grid" and further resources like: animate
transient datasets are not available yet;

5) If you're writing a Ensight's SOS file from a program (like me), be sure
that you're not putting extra blank spaces after the name of the case files.
I spent a good time comparing almost equal files in order to understand what
was going wrong. For example:

machine id: localhost
executable: ensight7.server
directory:
login id:
casefile: "foo_4_00.case                           "

Is different than

machine id: localhost
executable: ensight7.server
directory:
login id:
casefile: "foo_4_00.case"

(***THE QUOTATION MARKS ARE TO REINFORCE WHAT I DID WRONG***)

6) Lookmark doesn't seem to work with Ensight's format. In all my tries PV
crashed :-(

7) An issue to be asked to the list: Has anyone got success in animating
more than 1000 time steps with ParaView and Ensight's files?

I can't remember nothing more but other issues are welcome ;-)

Renato N. Elias
PhD student - http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias
High Performance Computing Center
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro