[Paraview] New ParaView

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 10:39:52 EDT 2006

For the record, there is a page on ParaView 3 and Qt licensing on the
ParaView Wiki:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView_III_and_Qt_licensing.

There is a very clear separation between GUI and engine codes. For example,
it is possible to drive the engine through python without linking in any Qt
dependent code. However, there is no good documentation for developers at
this time.
I would not say it is an easy task to write an alternative GUI for ParaView.
ParaView III has 5 or more full-time, experienced developers and it is
taking us months (probably more than a year) to develop a replacement for
ParaView/Tk. Most of this effort is focused on the GUI. ParaView/Tk GUI has
a lot of man-years of effort as well.

-Berk