RES: [Paraview] stability of paraview

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Sun Jun 11 23:22:48 EDT 2006

Hi Peter,

You've put a very curious question... Quality Assurance should be a prime
concern for any software around the world and it seldom happens -- MS
Windows and most of the Linux distributions are examples of softwares with
doubtful quality. In my opinion, ParaView, even for an open source software,
has much more quality than some very well known (and expensive)
visualization tools. Before ParaView I used to work with Ensight and Ensight
always crashed even doing naive things (and we are talking about an
expensive visualization tool). In some cases I reported these annoying bugs
to the CEI's support and I'm still waiting for solution up to now... .
Furthermore, most of the simple PV problems you can quickly solve by
writting a message to this forum. I'm sure you will be promptly answered by
some more experienced user or even a PV developer when your problem or
question is more severe. Moreover, in an open-source project any user is a
valuable beta tester. We should also emphasize that ParaView is a software
that has been developed with an excelent development framework. The
Kitware/PV team is constantly feed with opinions coming from a bunch of
users around the world that post their messagens in this mail list. The PV
team also has a bug report system which gathers and qualifies each bug
reported not to mention the quality dashboard system.

You know, softwares will always crash (mainly when you're in a hurry having
to finish an urgent work). Any software with more than one programming line
will always be wrong - more or less - but they'll be always wrong ;-)

Regards

Renato N. Elias
PhD student - http://www.nacad.ufrj.br/~rnelias
High Performance Computing Center