[Paraview] stability of paraview

SamuelKey samuelkey at comcast.net
Mon Jun 12 21:40:43 EDT 2006

Peter,

I have been using ParaView for about two years now. Version 2.4.3 is
worthy of your consideration. Your question suggests to me that you are
concerned that ParaView is the product of hobbyists and backwoods
programmers. Kitware does a lot of work on ParaView through funding from
Sanadia National Laboratories, Las Alamos National Laboratory, Livermore
National Laboratory, and the US Army Research Laboratory. It was these
funding sources that required that ParaView be made open source.  There
are a number of programmers at these institutions that are also
contribute to ParaView. There are a number of contributors from the NSF
High Performance Computing centers, and comparable centers in Europe. If
you watch the  ParaView mailing list. You will find their exchanges with
the Kitware staff occurring at a very high level.

I have used ParaView on Windows2K/x86-32(HP x4000), WindowsXp/AMD64,
Suse AMD64Linux v9.3 on a Sun W2100z. I have always used pre-compiled
downloads from Kitware. My workstations have rather capable Nvidia
graphics cards, and 1GB
/4GB RAM, respectively.

The one real limitation I have encountered is that ParaView is compiled
for 32-bit computer architectures and on my Sun system I have
experienced crashes on both O/S's when ParaView's memory footprint
exceeds 2GB, but then I use animations a lot (100 time steps from a 860K
finite element models with plenty of point and cell data).  I am looking
forward to the return of proper 64-bit operating systems and
applications  --  something we left behind when we failed to support the
DEC Alpha/True64 Unix systems and their associated compilers.

However, ParaView  is intended for datasets coming from massively
parallel executions -- 1000's of processors. You of course need the
computing hardware, reliable data storage, reliable rendering farms and
reliable high-bandwidth net works to pull this off.

Graphics has always been resource intensive and if you take an ordinary
PC with a badly fragmented file system (the normal state for Windows
systems without proactive management); a badly fragmented, too-small
page file; and too little RAM; ParaView with an interesting data set can
easily overwhelm one of these PC's. The OS just drops dead. I don't
consider this ParaView's fault.

Hope this helps with your survey.

Sam Key