[Paraview] stability of paraview

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon Jun 12 21:15:42 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 13:31 -0700, Peter J. Bismuti wrote:
> Hi, here at Boeing we're contemplating using Paraview as one tool for
> visualizing solutions from an in-house CFD code (Navier-Stokes). There is
> concern that an open-source produce won't have an acceptable level of QA.
> There have been some reports of frequent crashes.  Anybody care to share
> their experiences or opinions?

Nobody says anything on the list unless they have a problem, while the
people for whom everything works are too busy doing actual work to write
to the list, so the reports of problems may be exaggerated.

I make Paraview crash all the time, but I have to try really hard. I try
to use too few nodes, to process too much data, with techniques that are
still in development. After all that, Paraview still crashes the least
of any application I tried for my tasks.

I say try Paraview If a particular technique seems lacking, push to have
tests added to the nightly tests. I know 'test' is a dirty word in QA
land, but literally every change in the code is checked.