[Paraview] custom color map

Christoph Moder mail at christoph-moder.de
Fri Jun 9 03:42:55 EDT 2006

Hi!

> Is it possible to create a custom color map that does not follow an HSV
> interpolation between end points? For example, can one just specify a
> 3x256 matrix of RGB triplets? If so, what is the easiest way to go about
> this?

I know only one solution: In the legacy VTK format, you can specify
lookup tables; each entry has four float values, for R, G, B and opacity
(each value between 0 and 1). This lookup table is mapped on data values
between 0 and 1.

So if you have a dataset with values between 0 and 100:
SCALARS scalars float
LOOKUP_TABLE default
1.0 10.0 100.0 90.0 ...

You have to scale it (AFAIK) to use a lookup table:
SCALARS scalars float
LOOKUP_TABLE my_table
0.01 0.1 1.0 0.9 ...

LOOKUP_TABLE my_table 3
1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0
0.0 1.0 0.0 1.0
0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0

If anyone has a better solution, please tell me.

Christoph