[Paraview] HW acceleration in client/server mode

Sean Ziegeler, Contractor seanzig.ctr at navo.hpc.mil
Thu Jul 6 09:54:56 EDT 2006

You should check to be sure that you do indeed have DISPLAY set to :0.0
on each node and that you have authority for the X-Servers.  It sounds
like your MPI configuration uses rsh to execute its processes, so to
test this for some node, do the following:
rsh somenode xlogo

If DISPLAY really is :0.0, then the xlogo should appear on the display
for that node (I'm assuming you have some way of verifying that node's
video output).

If you get a "Can't open display: " (with no display value after the
color) error, then DISPLAY is not actually getting set.  You'll have to
be sure it is set in the appropriate .login/profile/cshrc/bashrc/etc for
your shell, or you can pass environment variables on the mpirun command
line.

If you get a "connection to :0.0 refused by server" error, then you
don't have authority for the X-Server.  The quick fix is running "xhost
+" or "xhost +localhost" from the console of each node.  Or you can use
xauth to gather the X-Authority data from each node (much more involved,
but also more secure).

-Sean