[Paraview] HW acceleration in client/server mode

Alain SENOT alain.senot at edf.fr
Wed Jul 5 08:25:14 EDT 2006

I'm using Paraview 2.4.3 in client-server mode on a little linux cluster
with graphic cards.
I'm using mpich 1.2.7 and compiled with the settings of the following
variables :
VTK_USE_MPI  on
MPI LIBRARY
MPI INCLUDE PATH
MPI EXTRA LIBRARY
MPI EXECUTABLE mpirun
CMAKE C COMPILER mpicc
CMAKE CXX COMPILER mpicxx

Then I copied the files of Paraview and MPI on other nodes of the cluster.

When I launch the application in client-server mode, a warning message
appears, telling me that I won't be able to use compositing.
"To enable compositing, compile and run the server with offscreen Mesa
support or assign a valid display to all server nodes."

For obvious reason, I would like to choose the second solution.

How can I assign a valid display to all server nodes so that the server
can render ?
The DISPLAY environment value is :0.0 on all nodes for the user.
The ~/.rhosts file lists all nodes. mode 700. The UID of the user is the
same on all nodes.
MPIRUN has been added to the PATH variable, MPI libs to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
The machine list file contains the machines of the server.

Thanks again for your help,

Alain Senot
EDF