[Paraview] PV crashed when saving image

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 13:20:10 EDT 2006

> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 15:28 -0400, Berk Geveci wrote:
> > I think I know what the problem is. ParaView uses offscreen rendering
> > when saving an image (so that overlapping windows do not corrupt the
> > image). Some OpenGL implementations seem to be buggy and not handle
> > this well. If you have built ParaView from source, I can point out
> > which line to comment out to get around this. Can you provide some
> > information about your graphics card and OpenGL driver? We need to
> > keep track of where this doesn't work.
> >
> > -Berk
>
> I've seen this too... many times. What I've learned so far is that at
> least in Fedora Core 5 there is no libosmesa.so there is a comment on
> this in mesa.spec.
>
> # FIXME: libOSMesa does not build when DRI is enabled for some reason.  It
> # seems next to impossible using the totally broken Mesa buildsystem to
> build
> # both DRI drivers and OSMesa in a single build.  If someone feels like
> fixing
> # all this to build on all 7 architectures, be my guest.
>
> If I build mesa without dri and link paraview against that GL inatead of
> the system GL saving images and movies works in paraview.
>
> Berk, you've pointed out the lines to comment out to me before and that
> worked. Should paraview check if the GL supports offscreen rendering
> before it tries to use it?

ParaView checks for offscreen support before using it. The problem seems to
be with a bug in the pbuffer implementation of certain drivers. The few
reports I had were from nVidia drivers. Note that we do not use osmesa
unless the option is specifically enabled. I have commited a patch to the
CVS head that may fix the problem.