[Paraview] PV crashed when saving image

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed Jul 5 13:02:32 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 15:28 -0400, Berk Geveci wrote:
> I think I know what the problem is. ParaView uses offscreen rendering
> when saving an image (so that overlapping windows do not corrupt the
> image). Some OpenGL implementations seem to be buggy and not handle
> this well. If you have built ParaView from source, I can point out
> which line to comment out to get around this. Can you provide some
> information about your graphics card and OpenGL driver? We need to
> keep track of where this doesn't work.
>
> -Berk

I've seen this too... many times. What I've learned so far is that at
least in Fedora Core 5 there is no libosmesa.so there is a comment on
this in mesa.spec.

# FIXME: libOSMesa does not build when DRI is enabled for some reason.  It
# seems next to impossible using the totally broken Mesa buildsystem to build
# both DRI drivers and OSMesa in a single build.  If someone feels like fixing
# all this to build on all 7 architectures, be my guest.

If I build mesa without dri and link paraview against that GL inatead of
the system GL saving images and movies works in paraview.

Berk, you've pointed out the lines to comment out to me before and that
worked. Should paraview check if the GL supports offscreen rendering
before it tries to use it?