[Paraview] Stalls in distributed mode

Adam M. Smith amsmith at lanl.gov
Mon Jul 3 15:13:03 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to use ParaView on a linux cluster using MVAPICH.  I have
built the latest ParaView sources with MPI enabled (as far as I know). I
can launch all of the created binaries with mpirun_rsh and have them work
fine as long as I only use "-np 1".  Even the simple "mpirun -np 2
thismachine thismachine /path/to/paraview" stalls.  When I say stalls, I
mean a process is created, nothing is output to stdout nor do any X
windows pop up.  CPU utilization remains at 0. Other programs using
mvapich on these machines work fine.

The (I think) relavent guts of my cmake config are below:

BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF
MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib/libibverbs
MPI_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local2/mvapich/include
MPI_LIBRARY=/usr/local2/mvapich/lib/libmpich.a
VTK_MAX_NUMPROCS=2 # I didn't set this myself, configure probably got this
(correctly)
VTK_USE_MPI=ON
VTK_MPIRUN_EXE=/usr/local2/mvapich/bin/mpirun

Separate but related question, probaby a simple one at that -- I'm new to
MPI.  Does anyone know of a nice way to somehow "watch" whats going on
with MPI to see which hosts are talking to which other hosts when.. in
which communicators?