[Paraview] volume rendering, Hardware support.

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 31 11:50:38 EST 2005

> Does anyone know the exact feature set used in the hardware
> so I can compare it against my card and possibly other cards
> I can upgrade to?

The feature set needed by the projected tetrahedra mapper in ParaView is
small.  It uses only OpenGL 1.1 compliant methods.  It renders triangle
fans in a display list using a 2D texture that has an internal format of
GL_INTENSITY.  The hardware you describe should have no problem
implementing these features.

If you have the ParaView code, you can look at the projection volume
render implementation at
ParaView/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkProjectedTetrahedra.cxx.  If you can
compile the code, you might want to try removing OpenGL commands until
it renders fast.  You may also want to check that
vtkProjectedTetrahedraMapper::Render() is being called at all (as
opposed to the Render method of software volume mapper).  I suppose it's
conceivable that ParaView is using the wrong mapper, but I don't know
why it would be hardware specific.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I cannot replicate your problem.

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov