[Paraview] volume rendering, Hardware support.

Daniel Goldstein Daniel.E.Goldstein at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 26 12:06:43 EDT 2005

Hello all
   I am trying to determine why my video card does not seem to be used
by the current paraview volume rendering code.
I am confident it is not using the video hardware because the volume
rendering on the voxel8.vtk data set is many orders of magnitude
slower than other computers I have tried.  This data set has 27 points
in 8 cells on an unstructured grid.
(Interactive Render,  3.745 seconds
Still Render,  3.665 seconds for this data set, with both set to the
projection method)
I am running on a Dell M50 notebook with a Nvidia quadro4 500 GoGl
graphics card.
I have updated Vbios and drivers to the most recent I can find.

  Does anyone else happen to have the same hardware? Have you found how
to make it work with paraview?
Does anyone know the exact feature set used in the hardware so I can
compare it against my card and possibly
other cards I can upgrade to?

  As a reference I use Amira on this same machine and I can volume
render and spin in real time
much larger data sets. So at least I know the hardware is working.

  Thanks for any help

Dan Goldstein