[Paraview] XY plot

François BEAUBERT Francois.Beaubert at univ-valenciennes.fr
Thu Oct 13 04:27:50 EDT 2005

Hi David,

Thanks for your answer.

Before using paraview I was using Xmgrace or Tecplot.
* Xmgrace is a wonderfull tool to make XY plot but onlyx XY plot
* Tecplot is great toolbox because you can make XY plot, 2D and 3D plot at the
same time. And I think you improve your productivity with this kind of all in
one tool. But it's expensive and sometimes slow with large dataset.

To answer your question David, I'm dreaming of those kind of features in
Paraview: have the possibility to make 3D as well as 2D or XY plot with the
same software. Paraview is already a killer apps for 3D plot but it will be
be great if the XY plot module can support the following features and in
particular precise control of graph features such as:

* major and minor thichmarks (in/out)
* grid control of the plot
* Unlimited number of graphs
* Unlimited number of curves on a graph
* customizable colors
* different dashed line styles
* different fill patterns
* different marker symbols with different Color/fill markers
* text annotations with subscripts, superscripts and symbols
* LaTeX and richtext label support
* legends of the graphs
* curve Fitting
* data set operations: evaluating expressions and direct editing of data
* free or pan zooming, masking of data points and marker
* every object can be dragged by mouse

those are some wiches ... but I know i'm dreaming
Paraview is already a very good plot software but I think that with this kind
of features it will rock !

Regards
François