[Paraview] request general advice for building paraview on x86-64 Opteron

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed May 18 04:25:47 EDT 2005

>I recently build paraview on Intel EMT. I encountered one compile
>error (linker actually) while linking to MPICH I compiled myself. I
>was linking against a static mpich library and the linker complained I
>had to recompile mpich with fpic. When I linked against a shared
>mpich, everything worked fine. I should note that I was building
>paraview shared too. I did not try static.
>

>>Would anyone be willing to share their experience or advice for building ParaView and / or VTK on the x86-64 platform? I greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have.

I'll Second this. Anything you build yourself will be fine, because you
can control the flags, but watch out for any third party libs you link
against. I had a lot of trouble on a red hat box because it would link
by default to everything in /usr/lib and I had to manually edit
makefiles to link against /usr/lib64 in particular when running cmake,
make sure you don't pick up the wrong libs in some of the X11R6/...
directories and modify all the paths if necessary. I'm not sure how many
distributions use lib and lib64 as distinct and different - but I found
fedora core 3 was a lot of trouble in this respect. However if you know
what you're doing (and I didn't because I'm new to linux), then you
should be fine.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch