[Paraview] Using ParaView to view Xmol format files for atoms and molecules

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Mon May 2 02:52:01 EDT 2005

Joseph Gorse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone else has explored ParaView as a means for
> viewing atomic crystalline structures?

I contributed the initial PDB. XYZ and Gaussian readers. They're still
preliminary and I don't think they have much future given the current
state of ParaView, that is PV is just not built for Chemistry.

I can recommend a wonderful open-source package for your job. VMD
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/ is an excellent package.

I still use PV for one specific task which VMD cannot tackle: Viewing
the molecule stored in a Gaussian Cube file AND viewing the cube volume
itself with slices and isosurfaces.

Back to your question. Animation might have worked at the time I created
the reader. I don't remember. I remember specifically that I made it
work for another format we use (PDB + DCD). The DCD part contains
time-dependent coordinates of atoms in binary. Most of my testing (back
in 2003) was done with VTK + Tcl, which is not quite the same as a PV
solution.

--
Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/Favre.php