[Paraview] Pointing paraview to read part of DATASET from separate files

Noel Harrison NCBES noel.harrison at nuigalway.ie
Mon Jul 25 06:06:18 EDT 2005

Greetings,
I have been using paraview to display unstructured grid models which are
deformed over time. I am doing this by generating a number of files
representing the entire model at different timesteps and then animating
through the timesteps (as described in ParaView Digest, Vol 15, Issue 28).
My problem is that I am generating Large files and am looking of ways of
reducing their sizes.  My files are of the form:

DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
POINTS 27 float
0 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 2 1 0
0 0 1 1 0 1 2 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1
0 1 2 1 1 2 2 1 2 0 1 3 1 1 3 2 1 3
0 1 4 1 1 4 2 1 4 0 1 5 1 1 5 2 1 5
0 1 6 1 1 6 2 1 6

CELLS 11 60
8 0 1 4 3 6 7 10 9
8 1 2 5 4 7 8 11 10
4 6 10 9 12
4 5 11 10 14
6 15 16 17 14 13 12
6 18 15 19 16 20 17
4 22 23 20 19
3 21 22 18
3 22 19 18
2 26 25
1 24

CELL_TYPES 11
12
12
10
10
7
6
9
5
5
3
1
SCALARS MOVE float 1
LOOKUP_TABLE default
1.0
0.2
0.2
0.4
1.1

And In each file the CELL_TYPES and CELL information does not change, only
the POINTS data and the SCALAR data do. So is there a way to direct the CELL
and CELL_TYPES headers to read their data from a separate file, thus all the
timesteps can read their CELL and CELL_TYPES data from the same file thus
saving disk space. Anybody know how to do this or have any other
suggestions?

Kind regards,

Noel