[Paraview] Re: Berk, help me plz

wpfeng wpfeng at 163.com
Sun Jul 10 21:47:35 EDT 2005

Wylie, Brian,

  Thank you very much.
  And I have another question :)
"1) The servers (renderservers) can either send images or geometry to the
client. If you look under 'View... 3D View Properties' you will see a
slider for Composite. If you move slider to zero megabytes you will
either get images streaming down from the servers or you will get a
crash. "
-- You mean the user decides where the rendering process occurs by
setting the composite slider?

  In the page 90 of The Paraview Guide (chapter 12 Parallel ParaView),
there are some words as follows,
"ParaView has the option of using parallel rendering on the render server
or rendering directly on the client workstation. ParaView automatically chooses
a rendering strategy to achieve the best rendering performance. Smaller models
are rendered on the client, and distributed rendering is used for larger models."
-- so, I guess that ParaView's automatic choice is based on the user's decision by
setting the composite slider. If I move slider to 10 megabytes, the servers send images to the client when the polygonal representation is larger than 10M,
and send geometry when it is smaller than 10M.  Right?

======= 2005-07-11 06:22:03 =======

Well I'm not Berk but I may be able to help. :)

1) The servers (renderservers) can either send images or geometry to the
client. If you look under 'View... 3D View Properties' you will see a
slider for Composite. If you move slider to zero megabytes you will
either get images streaming down from the servers or you will get a
crash.

If you get a crash it means that you servers are not set up so that they
can open up X windows. Note that this is a fairly common problem and you
have to have your cluster admin (or yourself) change the X server
security setting to allow you to do this.

2) On the servers. The whole point is not to move the data, so wouldn't
be useful anywhere else. :)

3) Same answers for 1 and 2 but should be much faster when using
compositing on big data. :)

Brian Wylie - Org 9227
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0822 - Building 880/A1-J