[Paraview] A name="abc" feature *.pvd?

SamuelKey samuelkey at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 12:54:30 EST 2005

Dear paraview users and developer's,

I'm using paraview 1.8.3 on linux and windows.

I have the following question: Is there a name-feature
in the *.pvd file whereby I can assign a descriptive
string to each part that will then show in the face-sheet
for the "Extract Parts" filter?

Something like:  name="Traction BC"

ParaView is a most incredible post-processor!!! My
meshes have side-sets, node-sets, and element-sets
that are referenced by boundary conditions etc. in my
analysis program.  I have successfully written out the
individual item-sets as vtk unstructured mesh objects.

I then use a *.pvd file to read in the mesh as part="1"
and the node-sets, side-sets, and element-sets as
part="2" et cetera. When I use the "Extract Parts" filter,
I get a list of parts ID'ed as "Unstructured Grid: nnn cells"

For a large complex model I have no idea how many
cells are in each of the item-sets?  When I write out
the *.pvd file from my analysis code, it would very very
useful ( and easy) to be able to attach a name-string
to each of the item-sets as I have already assigned
names to these mesh objects in my analysis code.

If the feature is absent, what are the prospects of getting
it added to the "to-do list" for ParaView?

Regards,

Samuel Key,  FMA Development, LLC
(Fma-3D is an OpenSource FEM simulation program)