[Paraview] Extending ParaView

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Wed Dec 21 15:41:03 EST 2005

The guide to adding a module to ParaView at

   http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Extend

is invaluable and I have used it to add a new reader as an "external
module". I'd be interested in comments on 2 problems I encountered.

1) The Wiki's xml for the GUI includes the line

   <ServerManagerFile name="vtkCellDerivatives.pvsm" />

This didn't work for me until I added the attribute "directory". Changing
"name" to be the full path didn't work. Should "directory" always be added?

2) "The ParaView Guide" (2004), p.193, says "Proxy groups ... are only used
for organizational purposes; it is perfectly valid to store all proxy
descriptions in one group." I arbitrarily used group "filters" in the xml
for the server manager and ParaView could not find my reader - it had to be
changed to "sources". Is that line in the book wrong?

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center