[Paraview] ParaView 1.4.3 in render-server mode

Joseph Insley insley at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 1 15:04:13 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to run ParaView using the separate data server and render
server, but am running into trouble.  I'd appreciate pointers to any
additional documentation that may exist, the only doc I was able to find
on it is the commandline options listed in the Users Guide, and by running
paraview --help.

Here are some details on the problem I'm encountering:

(I should mention that I am running ParaView 1.4.3 in all places)
For simplicity, I'm running each of the servers on a single linux node.
I'm not entirely sure that I've got all of the options correct, but here
is how I am attempting to run things..

For the data server I run:
mpirun -np 1 -machinefile myDataNode.file /soft/bin/paraview --server
--port=50100

For the render server I run:
mpirun -np 1 -machinefile myRenderNode.file /soft/bin/paraview
--render-server --render-port=50200 --render-node-port=50300

On the client I run:
paraview --client-render-server --host=myDataNode --port=50100
--render-server-host=myRenderNode --render-port=50200
--render-node-port=50300

The client appears to connect to both of the servers.  It looks like the
problem occurs when the data server tries to connect to the render server
(at least I think that is what is happening.)

The render server gives the following ouput:
RenderServer: Waiting for client...
Client connected.
open with port 50300
WaitForConnection: id :0  Port:50300

The data server gives the following output:
Waiting for client...
Client connected.
Connect: id :0  host: localhost  Port:50300
Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
/soft/paraview/src/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 453
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x81c7928): Can not connect to localhost on port
50300

Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
/soft/paraview/src/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 536
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x81c7928): Could not send tag.

Without more detailed documentation I don't fully understand what is
happening, but it looks to me that the data server is trying to connect to
the localhost, rather than myRenderNode.  Do I need to give the data
server this information, or should it be getting it from the client?  I
tried playing around with using the --machines option, but didn't
see any difference, then again I wasn't sure of what the syntax of the
file should be.

Also, when I tried running with multiple nodes for both servers, the first
render node listens on the port I specified in the --render-node-port
option, but the rest use ports presumedly generated by the render server.
When I tried passing the --render-node-port a comma separated list of
ports, only the first one was used.

If anyone can help shed some light on how to resolve this, it would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks,
joe.

joseph a. insley				insley at mcs.anl.gov
mathematics & computer science division		(630) 252-5649
argonne national laboratory                     (630) 252-5986 (fax)
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~insley