[Paraview] EnSight Reader/Writer Question

RAVINDRANATH LANKA rlanka at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:31:13 EST 2004

Hi,

Brad, Thank you for responding to my earlier questions.  I will look into
the hdf5 format.   I don't know much about it either.

This morning I was conducting a couple of tests with paraview. I Created an
ensight case file for a simple channel flow problem (462 Points/nodes).  It
had an interior, 3 OSFs and 3 SBCs (rather 7 parts/element sets/cell sets).
Then I loaded the case file into paraview.  I did "extract parts" and this
displays a list of parts in the list box, "interior", "OSF: inflow", "OSF:
outflow", "OSF: wall", "SBD:inflow", "SBC: wall" and "SBC: outflow".
  When I go to the information tab, It shows that there are "3243" points
and not "462".  This is nothing but 7*462.  Is paraview storing these points
7 times?.

Then I saved the data.  There is only one option, which is to save as *.pvd
file. I saved the pvd file.  Then I opened the pvd file.  When I clicked on
"Filter->extract parts", i didn't see the part names,  But a list like
"Unstructured Grid: 200 cells, Unstructured Grid: 10 cells" etc.  pvd is not
saving the part names "or" the pvd reader doesn't read the part names.

When the pvd file is saved, It creates a directory containing a bunch of
"vtu" files corresponding to each part. Paraview can independently load
these vtu files.  When I loaded each one of these vtu file and tried to
display the number of cells and points in each of them, this is what I got.

  200 cells and 462 points
  10 cells and 462 points
  10 cells and 462 points
  40 cells and 462 points
  10 cells and 462 points
  10 cells and 462 points
  40 cells and 462 points

It saved all the points in each of the part files.
Is it how it is supposed to work? or am i missing something.  From
efficiency standpoint, is there a better way to do it?

Ravi