[Paraview] XML UnstructuredGrid With Multiple Parts

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Nov 10 06:48:46 EST 2004

RAVINDRANATH LANKA wrote:
> Each of the vtu files is a subset of a large mesh (say about 5 million
> nodes/points).  Ideally, I would like each of the parts to refer to the
> same "Points" set.  That way, I don't have to do any localized inversed
> mapping for the connectivity information.

This is not possible with the XML formats.  You could look at HDF5 to do
that (which ParaView can read), but I do not know too much about it.

> The part name I was referring to is the part names list that come out in
> paraview when you do "extract parts" (vtkEnsightReader does this
> programatically, i think). I would rather have something like,
>   <DataSet part="0" Name ="part0" file = "channel/channel_0.vtu"/>

This sounds like an interesting idea.  I do not know how hard it is to
implement, but please at least add it as a feature request to the Bug
tracker:

http://www.paraview.org/Bug

so it will be investigated at some point.

-Brad