[Paraview] vtkBandedPolyDataContourFilter

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:48:08 -0500

> Hi all,
>
> Some questions and wishes for someone who really appreciates
> the design and the features of paraview application.
> ---------------------------------------
> * I would like to specify different colors for each levels in the scalar
> bar.
> For now I can only change the first and last colors.
> The values of the levels indicated in the scalar bar reflect only
> regular steps.
> Can it be changed (in VTK API too) ?
>
> ---------------------------------------

Not currently. However, adding support for custom color maps is in our
todo list.

> * Last but big issue:
>
> In my community (climate research), there is a large aggrement to use
> the python
> language. Many modules exist for many purpose
> (numeric processing with Numeric or numarray modules,  input/output and
> computations with
> netCDF file with CDMS from the LLNL/PCMDI, ... ).
>
> With the VTK API (wrap in python) - that I am promotting,
> all the parts are here to build nice and usefull applications.
> Paraview application could be one of them. Unfortunately, it has been based
> on the Tcl/Tk toolkit where all the modules mentionned above are missing.
>
> Also could this project be re-oriented on python ?

We have no intention of replacing the use of Tcl with Python. Tcl is and
will be the main scripting interface for the ParaView GUI. However, we
are working on separating the core of ParaView from the GUI. This core
will be scriptable in any language VTK supports (tcl, python and java).
We will also develop a language independent (probably xml based)
interface to this core. This will also allow us (and everybody willing
to invest the time) to write clients (GUI) in any language we want. This
is in progress now and will start to appear in the next release (and
will be finished before 1.6).