[Paraview] Will paraview calculate ISO-surfaces given...

Mattijs Janssens m.janssens at nabla.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 14:35:00 EDT 2004

Aha. I assumed the level set values were on the cell vertices.

They are not? Or are they and is just the ordering different? Can you
output/calculate the level set values at the cell vertices?

This goes a bit beyond my knowledge but
- maybe vtk can do interpolation from points (level set) to another set
of points (cell vertices)

- in which case you would need to write your points + level set data to
one file, and your geometry to another and find the vtk filter that does
that for you.

- do you know which cell your level set point is in. In which case you
might output your level set data as cell_data on an unstructured grid
and use paraview to interpolate to the vertices. This will ofcourse
loose you some accuracy (interpolation usually assumes the cell data is
located at the cell centre)

- maybe you can construct the surface directly from the point. I.e.
triangulate the points. vtk has a triangulation routine but I am not
sure it is mapped through into Paraview.

Mattijs

Henry J. Karpf wrote:
> YOu seem to know alot about what you are talking about so let me show
> you what i am working with and you can give me some ideas maybe:
> I have this program that outputs data and the followoing format:
> ITEM: NUMBER OF CELLS
> 1380
> ITEM: CELLS
> 111 0 0 0 -1 0.75 0.75 0
> 112 0 0 0.75 -1 0.75 1.5 0
> 113 0 0.75 0.75 -1 1.5 1.5 0
> 114 0 0.75 0 -1 1.5 0.75 0
> 115 0 0 0 0 0.75 0.75 1
> 116 0 0 0.75 0 0.75 1.5 1
>
> .....TO the number of cells, one line per cell
>
> ITEM: NUMBER OF POINTS
> 1914
> ITEM: POINTS
> 0 0 0 -1 -3
> 1 0 0.75 -1 -3
> 2 0.75 0.75 -1 -2.66927
> 3 0.75 0 -1 -3
> 4 0 0 0 -2
> 5 0 0.75 0 -2
> 6 0.75 0.75 0 -2
> 7 0.75 0 0 -2
> 8 0 1.5 -1 -2.87228
>
> THe cells are formated like the following:
> and the points like:
>

> Any idea on how when give this data, produce a vtk file that paraview
> will read and generate the iso-surfaces and make the 3d model?  Thank
> you for your help or input.

/*---------------------------------------------------------*\
| ===========           Mattijs Janssens                    |
| \\        /           Development Engineer                |
|   \\    /             Nabla Ltd.                          |
|    \\  /              The Mews, Picketts Lodge            |
|     \\/               Picketts Lane, Salfords,            |
|     F ield            Surrey RH1 5RG.                     |
|     O peration        Tel: +44 (0)1293 821272             |
|     A nd              Email: m.janssens at Nabla.co.uk       |
|     M anipulation     URL: http://www.Nabla.co.uk         |