[Paraview] Paraview render servers and X

Joel Welling welling at stat.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 19 21:04:25 EDT 2004

Hi folks;
  I'm trying to set up a strange Paraview client-server configuration in which
render servers running under MPI use Chromium to draw to the displays of
separate rendering service machines.  (Yes, I know; I can use mesa to do the
rendering off-screen on the render server hosts.  Just humor me for a minute).
 The Paraview render servers all need an X connection to their respective
rendering service machines, even though they don't run X widgets.  As far as I
can tell, the X DISPLAY environment variable is only used in
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow, where it sets up certain window connection bits that
are then used with glX calls to set up the actual GL rendering context.
  Does a Paraview render server do anything with X other than set up the GL
context using glX calls?  If not, I can modify vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow to use
the corresponding Chromium calls to set up the glX context and avoid touching
the X display per se.  If X is used for something else, like reading back from
the window or communicating redraw events to the render servers, that approach
is pretty hopeless and I'll have to figure out some other solution.  Has
anyone already created a vtkCrOpenGLRenderWindow class which will do this job?
  Sorry to ask such an open-ended question.  Chromium I can handle, but I'm
very naive about vtk internals.

Thanks,
-Joel
 welling at psc.edu