[Paraview] Create an animation out of more than 100 Datafiles

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 16 08:22:55 EST 2004

Felix Wolfheimer wrote:
> I want to create a animation using data, which is stored in files with
> names "efield-{number}.pvd", where {number} is the number of the
> timestep. I'm only able to create an animation, using the data out of 99
> datafiles (efield-1.pvd to efield-99.pvd). If there are files, where the
> {number} is greater than 100, ParaView doesn't recognize the files
> automatically as it does, when I have less than 100 files. When I try to
> set the range for the {number} manually in the animation menu, then
> ParaView dies with a segmentation fault.
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

This is a known problem and will eventually be fixed.  For now you can
extend the limit by editing the source and rebuilding.

Edit the source ParaView/GUI/Client/vtkPVFileEntry.cxx and modify this line:
#define MAX_FILES_ON_THE_LIST 100

Basically it is there as a hack to prevent ParaView form taking a very
long time to display the timesteps when there are millions in one directory.

-Brad