[Paraview] integration of a variable

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 16 08:11:20 EST 2004

Berend van Wachem wrote:
> I would like to integrate a variable over a surface; is this possible in
>  paraview, and so, how do I do this?
>
> An example of this is, when I have the variables velocity and density
> defined, and I want to calculate the massflow going through a surface. I
> need to calculate the cell face velocity times the cell face density
> times the cell face area times the cell face normal and then sum these
> values for all cell faces lying on a surface. Can this be done in Paraview?

Not by default.  ParaView is a visualization tool, not a computation
tool.  It has some support for computation but most of it is provided to
make interactive visualization more meaningful.  It is possible to write
plugins to ParaView that will do whatever computation you want, but
you'll have to write the corresponding VTK filter yourself.

-Brad