[Paraview] Loading PLOT3D data from ParaView

Berk Geveci berklist at nycap . rr . com
11 Sep 2003 10:11:42 -0400

Hi Joonsuk,

ParaView can read unformatted PLOT3D files (fortan or C,
single or multi-block). ParaView can not read:

1. unstructured grid PLOT3D files
2. function files

Although adding support for reading function files is not hard,
I haven't done it so far because no one asked for it.

If you have access to the code that produces the PLOT3D files,
you can change it so that it writes out files of type ParaView
can read (VTK, EnSight etc. see ParaView documentation for the
complete list). You could also write a converter from PLOT3D
to one of those formats. I recommend using the VTK format
(legacy or the new XML based ones). For a description of the
VTK file formats, look at:

http://www . vtk . org/pdf/file-formats . pdf

-Berk