[Paraview] EnSight multi-part loading

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs . ch
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:32:14 +0100

While reading EnSight geom files composed of multiple parts, I was
surprised by the large number of points shown in the
Information.statistics field of my reader object.

my data was made of just over 2 million points and ParaView showed I had
202 million points. For a moment, I thought I had beaten my own
visualization record. :-)

The answer is that the statistics are calculated by adding the number of
points for each EnSight part, i.e. each VTK Output, event though the
vtkPoints is ref. counted, and only created once. Since I had 101 parts,
I had 101 times the number of real points.

What is the justification for that? no need to boost performance like
that. Isn't ParaView already good enough?

Somebody cares to comment?

Jean

--
Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email: favre @ cscs . ch