[Paraview] Transient Data

Brian Dotson Brian . Dotson at netl . doe . gov
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:31:58 -0400

Berk,

Our researchers here use two CFD packages, Fluent and MFIX.  I have =
written a file translater that converts the transient data files to vtk =
files.  Each vtk file contains one scalar variable for one particular =
timestep.

So, after I run the translater I end up with some files like the following.=

run1_void_fraction_0.vtk
run1_void_fraction_1.vtk
run1_void_fraction_2.vtk
run1_void_fraction_3.vtk
.
.
run1_void_fraction_N.vtk

for N timesteps.

What I would like to be able to do is load the first timestep, define my =
contours and view I would like,  then have the loader cycle through all =
the timesteps. =20

If you could get me started I would appreciate it.  I am using ParaView =
0.6 at this point.

Thanks,

Brian Dotson

>>> Berk Geveci <berk . geveci at kitware . com> 06/05/03 01:09PM >>>
Hi,

> I work at the Department of Energy's National Energy Technology Lab. =20
> We have been looking at ParaView as a way to visualize our CFD results. =
=20
> The problem is that most of our data sets are transient, so we would =
like=20
> to load in multiple data files in series to create sort of an =
animation=20
> effect.=20

We have been working on this for some time. We have been making
improvements on the animation editor. We have also added time support
to a few readers. Can you describe what you want to achieve in some
detail ? What file formats you are using, what kind of parameters
you want to modify in time (this might simply be the filename or
some reader time parameter) etc etc... Unfortunately, we haven't
made a release which has these features yet. Depending on how urgent
your needs are, you might either wait for the next release (anywhere
between 3 weeks to 6 weeks, I think) or work with the development
version. I will be happy to help you to get started.

-Berk